- Zamir Sadykovich , recently the Minister of Transport and Communications acquainted with the work on our section of transit corridor. In particular, he visited Temirlan village which has suffered from the flood. What conclusions were made from these spring events?
- Indeed, Minister visited Temirlan village which was most affected by the flood. There was flooding which affected not only local, but also many republican roads. But we checked and saw that essentially there was not great destruction on the roads. However, this natural disaster has given us a glimpse into the future - the task to consider possibilities of increasing the carrying capacity of culverts and bridges, passing under the routes, was given.
- You have visited the bridge of Naiman-aryk channel spilling of which led to the flooding. This time the bridge could stand, will any measures be taken for the future security?
- That bridge which we have visited during the flood worked in tensioned mode. And now, together with the local authorities, we have to consider the possibility of increasing its capacity. But we can not simply increase the throughput capability. Local authorities shall repair the channel, especially downstream from the bridge. Because if we increase the capacity of the bridge, below the channel that amount of water will not pass, and we can deluge the residents. Therefore, we consider to take actions in cooperation with local Akimats.
- Through the affected Ordabasy district a large section of the international transit corridor is being laid. Did the floodt destroy already laid road bed?
- No, this section is safe, but it also will be changed related to recent natural hazard. Along this section of "Western Europe - Western China" project it is decided to build an additional nine culverts due to the floods. As the old-timers say, they didn’t see such flood situation in South Kazakhstan for a long time. So the recent flood allows to take into account all the peculiarities, encatchments and to calculate and consider during the construction the possibility of future floods for 30-50 years in advance.
- Will these innovations impact the cost of the project?
- It is an international project. It is not forbidden to change quantities. The signed Engineering Company will make a decision. Everything is documentary recorded- where there was overflow, where there was a danger of overflowing. All these information will be mentioned in scope of works. The cost will vary depending on the diameter of the culvert and other conditions. I think we have a minimum diameter of 1.5 meters culvert to accept. All of these will be calculated by the design institute. At the moment KazDorNII , who reports directly to the MOTC , was given directions. Moreover, since we have such an opportunity, we want to apply the new technology - corrugated pipe- the capacity of which in comparison to concrete is higher. All these moments were worked out during the visit of the Minister of Transport and Communications. The new technology is cheaper by 20-30 % than the traditional reinforced concreted pipe. And the capacity can be increased up to 15%. This new technology has already been used in the world; it has been brought to us by South Korean company. And we want to take this opportunity to acquire it.
- Do the Works on construction of the corridor going according to the plan? Are there any delays?
- In general, according to work schedule on sections where Contractors are assigned there are no delays. But there are sections where sources of funding were not determined. This is "Shymkent - border of Zhambyl oblast" section.Previously the decision has been made regarding the concession. Now it was decided to construct this section at the expense of cost-effectiveness, which appeared due to construction. This year we will determine the Contractor and start the construction by the end of the year.
The second section is "Tashkent – Shymkent” road. Previously we also planned to go through the concession there, but, due to the crisis, the concessionaire did not come. And the decision was made to involve the loan. Now the Ministry of Finance works out the possibility of attracting loan from ADB and EBRD. These works are under review.
In general, if you take the whole project, we had to hand over the first sections by 2013. But we are going to complete 700 kilometers this year. It is clear that, as with any large project, there are Contractors who have gone ahead, there are those that have lagged behind. South Kazakhstan has medium showings – nor being behind the schedule, and not in the advanced. In the leaders is Zhambyl oblast. They have good Contractors, and there are no problems associated with the schedule. Once again, I want to remind you that 21 general Contractor and 80 subcontractors are involved under this project. And, of course, there are those who drops out of the game in this big competition. There are those who due to some financial problems become bankrupt. But it is normal for such a large project.
- The problem with the acquisition of land property for construction of the road of international transit corridor was relevant from the start for the South region. How the situation stands now?
- It is left to acquire 373 plots that subject to right of way. In order not to breach the schedule in the first place it is necessary to complete the transfer of 22 plots in the Sairam district until July. These cases are considered by the court. The other plots are evaluated, but according to the new law this process must now accelerate. Under this law, acquisition of land property will be held by Akimats themselves.
We have initiated the handing over of acquisition to local authorities. Because even if a person asks another land in return - in any case it will not be provided by MOTC, but by the local Akimat. So there is no point to forward documents to MOTC. We believe that this will provide an opportunity to shorten the process of land acquisition. And the second question, there was speculation of these plots, and it regulated the price. Not only the cost of the land, but also the loss of revenue was taken into account.